A laser is an instrument that can produce a powerful beam of light. The word “LASER” stands for “light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.” In dentistry, the laser light produces a reaction when it hits tissue, allowing it to remove or shape the tissue. There are many procedures a dentist can do with a laser.
Laser Dentistry Procedures
Here are just some of the procedures we can perform using laser technology:
- Gum Disease: We first remove any infected tissue using laser therapy. Then we use lasers to reshape the gums and stimulate the tissue to repair itself.
- Help heal canker sores: In seconds, we can help canker sores heal faster.
- Preparing gums for a crown: In this procedure, we prep the soft tissue around the base of the tooth to place a crown over the tooth. With a laser, this process is quicker, less painful and bloodless, compared to the traditional procedure.
- Tongue Tie: Some people are born with a condition known as “tongue tie”. The range of motion of their tongue is restricted. Examples include being unable to push the tongue past the lower teeth or having trouble moving the tongue side to side. We can easily handle this condition in minutes.
The Advantages of Laser Treatment
- Sometimes patients do not require a local anesthetic; therefore treatment takes less time.
- Lasers can target the diseased areas precisely and accurately.
- Patients experience less bleeding, pain, and swelling.
- Recovery and healing times are shorter.
Questions and Answers
Q: Why does my doctor use a laser?
A: We can perform procedures with more accuracy and with less damage to your gums.
Q: How do I know I will need laser therapy?
A: We will perform an examination of your mouth. Then, we will determine which procedure would work best for you and go over with you all of your options.
Q: How will I know that my doctor is qualified to use laser therapy?
A: Laser therapy requires a very strong personal investment. This means we are committed to providing you with the highest standard of patient care. If you have any questions regarding any procedures or our training, please do not hesitate to ask.
Q: Can laser therapy harm my eyes?
A: Before any procedure, we will provide you with the required safety glasses to protect your eyes from laser energy.
Laser treatment has now been in use in dentistry for many years. It is a safe and effective treatment for gum disease and, it preserves gum tissue and aids in recovery time. Therefore, it is much more effective. And more good news, most insurance plans cover laser treatment.
We are committed to giving you the highest quality dental treatment. For this reason, we are very excited at Christensen Dental here in Henderson, Nevada to offer laser therapy. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or wish to schedule an examination with me.
Sincerely, Dr. Tyler Christensen & Dr. Ashley Anderson